Friday, October 15, 2010

Time Out: Kabul

I'm a big fan of cheeseburgers. I rarely pass up the opportunity to eat a burger when I'm out, and I am constantly putting in the effort to educate myself (and of course test) every good burger within close vicinity. I'm not talking McDonald's or Wendy's burgers, I'm talking Grade A beef cooked medium rare, with extra sharp cheddar cheese, a thick slice of an onion, tomato, lettuce, ketchup, mustard and mayo. You heard me, mayo.

I don't need any of the fancy toppings like caramelized onions, blue cheese or mushrooms - I am a straight up cheese on my burger gal. A good burger with fries and a diet coke can turn my frown upside down any day.


You can imagine my surprise when a couple of weeks ago, someone said to me that a restaurant called Habibis makes the best burger in Kabul. I have since been twice and I can honestly say it's one of the top five favorite burgers I've ever had the pleasure of putting in my belly. It doesn't hurt that they also serve cold Heineken in frosted glasses, and the restaurant is literally located in the owner's back yard. Given the atmosphere, service and general deliciousness of the food, I give Habibis a 9.5 out of 10. If you're ever in the neighborhood, you should definitely pop in.



For your reference, my list is as follows:
1. Shake Shack, Madison Square Park, New York City
2. Burger Joint, Le Meridien Hotel, New York City
3. Habibis, down some dirt road by the Roshan office, Kabul
4. Schiller's, Lower East Side, New York City
5. Pastis, Meatpacking district, New York City

1 comment:

  1. I just wish I could get you on a plane to visit Ann Arbor before I leave here. I would take you to Grizzly Peak, a local micro brewery who's burger might not rival Kabul, but definitely kicks Pastis off the list. Top it with their house Red beer and you'll never want to leave...

    ReplyDelete